dinsdag 20 oktober 2015

Hymalayan (EP). Hymalayan

This winter Natalie Ramsay and Death Goldbloom featured on this blog (as did King Karushi). All the music came through Edwin Zijleman's contribution on Natalie's album 'Fly To Home' first and then through the links Natalie provided to musical friends she thought worthwhile to bring to my attention. Tim Claridge promised more music soon as he was working together with Natalie in a project. Sounds confusing? Perhaps it is, but the first EP of Hymalayan is here, called Hymalayan, They are joined by Death Goldbloom's drummer Tomek and two other musicians on bass and violin.

The short version? This EP blew me away like an avalanche from said mountain range would have. Now I'm a cautious guy. Why go to a place that is dangerous in the first place? Total bullocks of course, getting into a car is more dangerous by far and each single time at that too, I know. So let me change that to why go where it is certainly cold and uncomfortable? Musically I like myself being swept away like the music on this EP does. There is a truly hidden danger underneath this soft spoken music and singing. There is a tension that is not being released. Knowing, understanding and accepting that Death Goldbloom is only a twist of the volume knob and the push of a pedal away, makes it comprehensible. The band name is a aptly chosen. Hymalayan creates music at lonely heights

Hymalayan is just a three song cd. Over before I know it. And it holds all the music an alternative, indie pop and rock fan could wish for. A dark guitar, great singing, a hint at the best of the 60s and all things indie. In fact I haven't heard such strong male - female singing in a band since I truly discovered Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship in the late 70s. Ramsay and Claridge have the Slick - Balin factor in abundance..

This EP holds music that is fleeting. Like air so thin, while laden with intensity. If you listen to 'Iris' you will know exactly what I mean. The song just floats. Claridge and Ramsay's voices circle round each other as leaves in an eddy of wind. Or like a ghost moving through a wall. With me being just as amazed at the quality of 'Iris'.

The toughest song is 'Warrior', doing justice to the title of the song. Claridge allows his guitar to go off for the only time on this album with the "I" in the song down on his/her knees for the soldier warrior. Again a song that reminds me of Jefferson Starship in the second half of the 70s, without the cosmic escape topics.

'Burma' has a tight electric rhythm guitar intro, but isn't a tough song. The singing is subdued and holding back on emotions, until we arrive at the beautiful chorus. The violin is there and an acoustic guitar solo, giving 'Burma' a totally different atmosphere than the start of the song hinted at.

Hymalayan is only three songs long, but just begs for more. This trio, together with their friends, is onto something huge. I've been told that there is a lot more coming in the near future together and apart, which I truly look forward to, but my advice would be: "Tim, Natalie, this is it!" See where this can take you. I'm absolutely, totally a fan.

Wo.

For more information and music see:

http://www.hymalayan.com/


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten